Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Zippy Flight Max 2200 mAh LiPo Review

When I started flying the Super Cub I soon stumbled upon Internet tipsters proclaiming the merits of the LiPo battery for increased flight times and performance in the SC. Before long I yearned for the extra boost and stick time per charge.

It took me a while to figure out what battery to choose. So, I want to make this process easier for others. It is this simple. Order the FlightMax 2200, 20C Zippy battery from HobbyKing. This battery costs ~18 Usd. It works will with the SC and my Spektrum electronics. It also works perfectly in the T-28 Trojan. If you want to know more read on. If you just want to fly, go order a few.

In both of these planes with the stock motor I am getting about 20-22 minutes of flight time. I try not to push it so far that the ending voltage is less than about 3.2V per cell. When I charge the batteries I usually put about 1900-2000 mAh Back in so there is probably a little more juice to wring out if I wanted to- I really don't want to since my hand are numb by 20 mintues in this cold MN “spring” weather and my 5 year old has, by 11 minutes, asked 25 times if we can go home now.

To use this battery in the T-28, the only modification you will need is to replace the battery receptacle to a deans pug on the plane- it comes with the e flight plug.

To use this battery on the SuperCub you will need to modify the battery box so that the battery can ride vertical. If you are using stock electronics, you will need to change a jumper on the ESC and move the ESC to a slightly different location to make it work. It is my understanding that this jumper changes the voltage cut-off – it raises the voltage cut off. Note: You can damage the LiPo by running it down much below 3.0 volts per cell on a 3S battery. NiMH can go lower- hence you need to change the jumper with the stock ESC.

Here is how the battery fits in my Modified Supercub:


I've not used other LiPos, but for this price and performance to date, I am planning to order a few more soon. I probably should before all you regulars run out and buy a few dozen!

If you are looking for a changer consider the Turnigy Accucell 6. BTW, I am not affiliated in any way with HobbyKing but so far my experience is that these 2 poducts offer a lot of value.

No comments:

Post a Comment