Sunday, March 1, 2009

Go LiPo!


Flight Date: 01March2009

Conditions
Equipment: (Super Cub 2.0 – LiPo Battery)
WX: ~6 mph, Temp ~6-15 F
Ground Conditions: 4-5 inches snow
Field: (#1 Field)

Flight Summary


Flight 1 (20 minutes)

Excellent flight cold but low wind ~6mph. SC 2.0 is handling fantastic with the new LiPo. This seems to yield about the perfect power with the stock motor. Whereas I used to always run the stock SC at wide open throttle, half throttle with the liPo is a good cruising speed and WOT throttle make the cub climb at about 45% with just a little down rudder. I think more power than this would actually be more than the SC can handle. Yesterday's flight in the wind stressed and broke the wing catastrophically. This new found power makes the SC more fun and easy to gain altitude or get out of trouble spots. In the low wind conditions for this flight, I would say it is perfect.

2 landings- 1 nice touch and go and a near perfect belly land in the snow. With a good 15 feet of glide on the snow surface- almost like a water landing!

Last point. The 2200 mAh 20C Flightmax 3s LiPo is yielding over 20mintues of flight time at mixed throttle. I concluded the flight at 20minutes as my fingers where going numb at that time in the cold wx even while wearing thick gloves.


Flight 2 (22 minutes)

Another great flight. The wind was holding at 5mph. I did have one rough landing and after that the ruder control seemed a little off. I'll check and adjust the trim. Had one close call when the plane ended up to my back.

4 nice belly landings in the snow. I expended the flight time another couple of minutes and the plane was sill pulling strong!

Flight 3 (22minutes)

I made a few pre-flight adjustments to the rudder control rod and SC2.0 is now trimmed out great.

Almost no wind- flight at dusk. Had a number of slow passes and 4 nice landings. The last landing was perfect! I learned from my previous flights to call it good.

Things I learned from these flights
Not a good idea to have the plane behind you. Too easy to loose perspective!

Damage
None

Stats
SC 1.0 Cumulative Flights: 15
SC 2.0 Cumulative Flights: 8
Total: 23
Cumulative Hrs: 4.9
Successful Landings: 34
SC Maintenance / Repairs* ~$51

*Cost to replace items broken in flight

No comments:

Post a Comment